Apr 29, 2018

Sainsbury's and Asda merger 'must be investigated'

The competition watchdog is being urged by politicians to examine the possible merger of Sainsbury's and Asda. Latest figures show that Tesco has a 25% grocery market share, while Sainsbury's has 13.8% and Asda has 12.9%. Together, they would move just ahead of Tesco, with 26.7% of the grocery market. She added that any merger talks would get off to a good start as Asda chief executive Roger Burnley used to work for Sainsbury's, and Sainsbury's chief executive Mike Coupe is a former employee of Asda. Mrs Shuttleworth said the proposed merger was being driven by a number of factors, including the possible entry of Amazon into the UK groceries market, and the also the challenge to traditional chains from discounters such as Lidl and Aldi. Tim Roache, GMB general secretary, said: "Our first priority is to safeguard the job of every single Asda member, both in stores and in distribution. We are demanding an urgent meeting with Asda to get the answers and assurances our members need and deserve."

Read the full story

 Related companies

Make a complaint about Sainsbury's by viewing their customer service contacts.