United Utilities Group PLC

Trading as United Utilities (UK)

Registered in England with number 06559020.

United Utilities Group PLC (UU), the United Kingdom's largest listed water company, was founded in 1995 as a result of the merger of North West Water and NORWEB.

The group manages the regulated water and waste water network in North West England - which includes Cumbria, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Merseyside which have a combined population of nearly 7 million. The United Utilities Group was the distribution network operator for the North West until 2010 when the electricity subsidiary was sold to Electricity North West. United Utilities' headquarters are in Warrington and the company has 5,300 direct employees. Its shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and the FTSE 100 Index.

North West England is the wettest region in England, and water hardness across the region is soft to very soft.

 How to complain about United Utilities (UK)

Stage 1 written contact: when we receive your written complaint we will reply within 10 working days of receiving it. We will give you the name of the person owning your complaint together with a telephone number should you wish to contact them to discuss any aspect of our reply.

Stage 2 written contact: if you remain unhappy with our response we will escalate your complaint to an agent who has not been involved in your initial complaint who will carry out an independent review.

If you remain unhappy with our response following our two stage process, you then have the option to refer your complaint to the following organisations:

Consumer Council for Water: if we have reviewed your complaint and you are still not happy with our response you can refer your complaint to the Consumer Council for Water (CCWater). This is an independent body which represents customers' interests and investigates complaints.

WATRS - the water redress scheme: if you remain unhappy with the outcome of your complaint after it has been through both stages of our complaints procedure and has been considered by CCWater, you may be eligible to take your concerns to WATRS, the water redress scheme who can provide an independent binding decision. We have signed up to the list of commitments shown here:

  • Commitment to provide WATRS free of charge to customers
  • Commitment to support the principles set out in the ADR Specification
  • Commitment to respect the independence of WATRS
  • Commitment to be bound by decision of the WATRS’ adjudicator if accepted by customer and to implement decision as required by Scheme Rules
  • Commitment to co-operate with and have due regard to the recommendations of the ADR Panel
  • Commitment to provide accurate and reliable information to and co-operate with the WATRS’ adjudicators

Ofwat: our industry regulator, Ofwat, only deals with specific types of complaints rather than CCWater - for example, powers to lay pipes on private land, licence conditions, water supply and sewerage duties and anti-competitive behaviours.

Our complaints procedure booklet contains full details about our complaints procedure together with useful telephone numbers and contact addresses.

 United Utilities (UK) complaints contacts



Use this comments section to discuss problems you have had with United Utilities (UK), or how they have handled your complaints. Initial complaints should be directed to United Utilities (UK) directly. You can find contact details for United Utilities (UK) above.

Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately. Please do not post any personal information relating to yourself, or employees of United Utilities (UK) as these comments will not be approved.

Loading comments...