Nov 17, 2020

Shoppers warned against buying cheap electronics online

A laptop which caught fire after being fitted with a battery bought on Amazon has prompted safety charity Electrical Safety First to warn of the dangers of buying cheap electronics online. "We would urge people purchasing electrical products to use the stores of websites of known manufacturers and retailers such as those found on the High Street, rather than resorting to third-party sellers on online marketplaces." "Which? has repeatedly found concerning levels of dangerous products being sold on online marketplaces, including items that are likely to be gifted over the festive period, such as Christmas lights and baby toys." "With people relying on online shopping more than ever this winter, online marketplaces must be given more legal responsibility for the safety of the products available for sale on their sites, so they can keep people safe and prevent any dangerous products from ending up in their customers' homes this Christmas." David MacKenzie, lead officer for e-commerce at the Trading Standards Institute urged consumers to "Do their homework" and check out online traders before buying from them.

Read the full story

 Related companies

Make a complaint about eBay by viewing their customer service contacts.